About Me

My photo
Good day to you all! My name is Anna Atkins. I am a British photographer best known for my cyanotypes, or blueprints, of the species of algae in the British Isles. I was the first person of either gender to use cyanotypes to create a long-term scientific study of the natural world. My father was a scientist and I helped him by creating drawings for some of his works such as his translation of Jean-Baptiste-Pierre-Antoine de Monet de Lamarck's Genera of Shells. Well, I must be going, as I have much work to do between housekeeping and my photography. Farewell!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Artifact #10

A cyanotype of Laminaria Digitata from my book British Algae: Cyanotype Impressions.

"Anna Atkins Laminaria Digitata." Wikimedia Commons. Web. 15 Mar 2011. <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Anna_Atkins_Laminaria_digitata.jpg>.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how interesting! A scientist influenced by art! How extremely interesting! I love your prints, and the fact that we were both influenced by science! Your art is definitely state of the art, if you pardon my expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite amazing! Photography is wonderful! Perhaps they shall make moving picture someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I find this is very interesting. Photographhy is a wonderful thing, exspecially in my field of art. It would be spectacular to have somone like you to photograph my work.

    ReplyDelete